Thursday, February 20, 2014

How to Tighten Skin

This has by far been my most requested post and most frequently asked question...so here it is everyone.

How do I/we tighten our skin and keep it from sagging?

It is actually very, very simple but first you have to understand a little bit about the skin tightening process. When I first started exercising I thought that my skin would bounce back as fast as my weight came off. WRONG! I have extremely poor skin elasticity, hence the stretch marks I got when I was twelve. It seemed like it took my skin forever to tighten up even remotely the first time. This time around, however, I know how the process works and what to do to encourage my skin to tighten up.
The above pictures are one week apart. The left was first thing in the morning (when my stomach was at its flattest) and the right was at about noon, after three meals, closer up, and in florescent light (which shows everything). You can see that my skin is not drooping at the bottom of my stomach like it was and the skin on either side of my stretch marks is not near as wrinkly as it was before. There are several avenues I take to help encourage my skin to tighten.
First: Drink at least one gallon of water a day. The more hydrated your skin the better the elasticity so drink up! I drink 1-1/2 gallons a day but a gallon is plenty.
Second: Exfoliate like crazy! I have use all kinds of exfoliating products from creams to brushes to mittens. What works best for me is the cheap scrub from Wal-Mart.
This is what I am currently using. It works really well for me & smells really good but any exfoliating product will due. Exfoliating helps remove your dry skin while increasing the blood flow to the targeted area and encouraging new elastic skin growth!
Third: Preparation H. I am going to be totally honest, I am not sure of the science behind how it works but I do know that it does work. TJ (my husband) swears by it. We have tried a couple of the less expensive "store" brand hemorrhoid creams but you definitely want to go with the Extra Strength Preparation H because out of all of them it works the best. Apply it before you go to bed every night.
Fourth: Lift, Lift, Lift. When I started lifting weights everything tightened up. My husband had one stubborn area (bottom of his rear) that just would not get tight and after focusing on doing more exercises targeting that area (squats, leg press, lunges) he no longer has any loose skin.
Fifth:  Eat a healthy diet. Do Not Yo-Yo. Losing and gaining repeatedly is one of the worst things you can do for your skin. focus on losing weight slowly and steadily if possible. Trust me this will make it way easier on you when it comes to skin tightening.

Have you ever tried those wraps? Do they work?

The answer is yes, I have tried them. Did they work for me? I suppose if I were looking for temporary results they worked great. TJ and I both gave them a try and our skin was tighter after each treatment, however, the results do not last. I personally think they're a waste of money unless you want to look good for a weekend at the beach or something like that. 

How long did it take for your skin to tighten?

The results above are a weeks difference. Though the results aren't staggering, they're lasting and getting better every single week. Tightening your skin is going to require patience and the ability to celebrate the small victories.

37 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. I notice a big difference in my "mummy tummy" from morning to night. In the morning it's not as saggy, but before bed, it's right back to sagging. I've been doing the elliptical for 30 minutes every week night, along with crunches, russian twists, etc. I will definitely have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very much pleased with the contents you have mentioned. I wanted to thank you for this great article. tighten skin on stomach after baby

      Delete
  2. Lauren--Youre welcome! Its a problem EVERYONE has in one way or another when theyre trying to lose weight. Im so proud of you...youre going to look so hot walking down the isle;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you tell us please to you just add the preperation H like a lotion every night? Or do you wrap? I've noticed a lot of answers not answered and would love to try this , ty

      Delete
    2. Can you tell us please to you just add the preperation H like a lotion every night? Or do you wrap? I've noticed a lot of answers not answered and would love to try this , ty

      Delete
  3. thanls for thos post I cant wait to try this method. keep it up you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love your hair in the right photo! Its so awesome! and thanks for the info. I've been looking for ways to tighten and yours has been the most informational. I do have one question though, how do you drink a WHOLE gallon and a half of water..i find it so difficult!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I start my day with a full gallon of water and set a goal to finish half by my lunch break (noon) and the other half by the time i am off work (five) and then I fill it up half way and try to finish it before I go to sleep.

      Delete
  5. These are, indeed, simple ways that could help us in tightening our skin. With discipline, exercise, and a healthy lifestyle, you can achieve the skin that you've always wanted! Well, I think I have to add more lifts in the next days. Thanks for sharing these tips, Reagan! :)

    Ula Cepeda @ US HealthWorks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Mrs. Williams, I have a few questions about this post, how do you go about using the exfoliating product do you do it before showering and how much do you put and how often and as far as the preparation h cream how much and how often do you apply this as well... Would this also be effective on your breast?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you know if you can apply preparation h on the skin while breastfeeding...

    The reason I ask is because it's an anti inflammatory, that's why it works.... But actually I don't see how the use of the product isn't temp because it draws three water out, but in all reality you need elasticity and the skin needs to be moisturized....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post about how to tighten skin, I've been on a quest to tighten my skin for many years now and this post helped alot, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this! I was wondering how often you exfoliate?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you use the exfoliate in the shower or after the shower? And when do you use the preparation H and you put it on your belly??

    ReplyDelete
  11. great questions! I'd love to know more details about the preparation h as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. great questions! I'd love to know more details about the preparation h as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you wrap were you want the skin tightened? How do you use, this?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your one week pictures look great - how many times, in that week, did you do the exfoliating and preparation H? Every night?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi again , I see many of us have the exact same questions , can we use this on our belly? The exfoliating I understand as I do this 3 times a week , but do you wrap with the Preperation H or rub it in before bed in a circular motion??? Help ,, ty

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi again , I see many of us have the exact same questions , can we use this on our belly? The exfoliating I understand as I do this 3 times a week , but do you wrap with the Preperation H or rub it in before bed in a circular motion??? Help ,, ty

    ReplyDelete
  17. At LEAST 1 gallon...water is good for you, but overhydrating risk include hypervolemia (fluid volume excess. Your cells swell and burst) and hyponatremia (low salt which effects muscles and then neuro effects)

    ReplyDelete
  18. At LEAST 1 gallon...water is good for you, but overhydrating risk include hypervolemia (fluid volume excess. Your cells swell and burst) and hyponatremia (low salt which effects muscles and then neuro effects)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ok I do use the app Water Your Body so I know my hydration, however no questions have been answered on the use of the preperation H, much help appreciated ,,,

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's way too much water. There is such a thing as water intoxication and it can be fatal. You are not a doctor and what you are advising people to do is dangerous. You should not be rubbing Prep H on your skin every day either. None of the things you have suggested will actually permanently tighten skin. Period.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you Tea1 I thought this was bogus too ,,, no answers ever answered ,,, and I agree with the water intake , I use Water you body app my doctor suggested and fitness pal , I eat clean and workout , went from 250 to 135 in 4 years ,,, want to tone ,,, use the DVD PIYO, it's on beachbody.Com amazing toning

    ReplyDelete
  22. Downtime associated with Laser Skin Tightening. How does laser tighten skin? http://www.laserskincaretreatments.ae/treatments/laser-skin-tightening/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for sharing such an informative and useful post. Wrinkles and sagging Skin is a big problem and Laser Skin Tightening in Abu Dhabi is most effective Solution for it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. With bistroMD you know that not only will you get gourmet meals, but that every entree and each in bistroMD's weight loss program will be balanced to bistroMD's custom nutritional platform to promote an healthy diet.

    STEP 1 - Choose one of the weight loss plans for 5 to 7 days of entrees.
    STEP 2 - Review your menu in advance and choose the entrees you want for each day and week.
    STEP 3 - Order your weight loss program.
    STEP 4 - Your meals are delivered to your door.

    ORDER NOW - home delivery.

    ReplyDelete
  25. There are many different options to tighten and rejuvenate the skin laser skin tightening in Dubai is one of the advance options.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You’ve provided great information in your blog. Many thanks for sharing the information in your blog.
    IPL

    ReplyDelete
  27. The dachshund was bred in Germany hundreds of years ago to hunt badgers. https://www.poodlespring.com/ "Dach" means badger and "hund" means dog. The three varieties of dachshund, smooth-,As family dogs, dachshunds are loyal companions and good watchdogs.
    https://Greenlandpuppies.com They are good with children if treated well. They can be slightly difficult to train. Dachshund puppies for sale wire-,and long-coated, originated at different times. The smooth was the first and arose from a mixture of a miniature French pointer and a pinscher. The breed also comes in two sizes: standard and miniature, with the standard the original size.
    The dachshund has short, strong legs that enable the dog to dig out prey and go inside burrows. Larger versions of the breed were used to chase deer or fox..
    Smaller dachshunds Dachshund puppy for sale were bred for hunting hares and ferrets.
    The breed is still used for hunting, primarily in Europe, nine in dachshunds puppies for sale ches in height.All three types are known
    The dachshund's coat may be shades of red, black, chocolate, white or gray. Some have tan markings or are spotted or dappled. Dachshunds live about 12 to 15 years. toy poodle for sale espite their size, dachshunds are known for their courageous nature and will take on animals much larger than themselves. Some may be aggressive toward strangers and other dogs
    Some dachshund fanciers say there are personality differences among the different varieties of the breed. For instance, the long-coat dachshund is reportedly calmer teacup poodles for sale than the smooth-coat variety,

    ReplyDelete