Monday, February 10, 2014

Homemade Sweet Potato Baby Food


I am very excited to share my experiences as I venture into making all of Riley's baby food. I decided to make her food myself for a few reasons; first, because I can make sure there are no preservatives or added ingredients and second, because it is way more economical which is important since we are only on one income. I bought four large sweet potatoes that were on sale for 68 cents a piece at HEB. 
First, you need to peel, dice and wash the sweet potatoes. 

 Then, pour the your sweet potatoes in a pan. Make sure your pan is lined with foil and greased with some kind of non-stick spray. Cover with foil and cook for about an hour on 350 degrees. The sweet potatoes should be very tender when you take them out. I do not advise boiling any of the produce you plan to turn into baby food because it takes away some of the nutrients.
Pour your sweet potatoes in a bowl and blend with your hand mixer until they are creamy like mashed potatoes; then, place about half of the mashed sweet potatoes in a blender with 1/2 cup of water and blend until they're the consistency you want. Repeat with the other half of the sweet potatoes then spoon into a clean ice tray, cover with foil and freeze. 
Once they're frozen, break apart like normal ice cubes and store in a freezer bag. Take 1-2 cubes out at a time and allow to thaw in fridge before feeding to your little one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment