Monday, January 6, 2014

Healthy Shepherds Pie


Becoming a mom has lead me to experimenting with different recipes in the kitchen. I am trying to come up with a lot of healthy versions of classic dishes so that when Riley is old enough for table food we are not always having a lean meat and a veggie. That gets old. So, here is my take on the classic Shepherds Pie. 

First, you're going to put your cauliflower on to boil. I used two small bags of frozen cauliflower because its easier and less time consuming than chopping a head of cauliflower. Let the cauliflower boil until it is tender (check by stabbing with a fork). 

Second, browning your meat. I use two pounds of 99% lean (HEB brand) ground turkey. I seasoned it with Ms. Dash Table Blend (we only use Ms. Dash seasonings because they have no sodium). When your meat is brown dumb it in a mixing bowl. 

Then its time for your vegetables. The good thing about it is that you can use whatever you like. We like virtually everything so I grabbed a bag of mixed frozen veggies, cut up some zucchini, squash, and bell peppers. Put all of your veggies in the skillet and cook them until they're tender. We tend to like things a little spicy so I added two spoon fulls of Rotel to mine just to give it the extra kick. I do not recommend using much Rotel because of the high sodium content. I seasoned the veggies with the Table Blend as well. 

Next, you're going to mix your vegetables in with the meat you have set aside in the mixing bowl and pour them into your baking dish. 
Once your cauliflower is tender, drain the water and put it into your blender or food processor. My personal preference is the blender, even though you may have to do a little at a time, because it makes it much creamier than the food processor. If you have trouble getting the cauliflower to blend do not hesitate to melt some "I cant believe its not butter" and pour a little in to help. Once your cauliflower is all blended into the constancy of creamy mashed potatoes, spread it over the top of your vegetables in the baking dish. I topped mine with fat free cheese just because I felt like it but cheese is optional. 
Bake on 350 degrees until the cheese is melted then take out and serve. 
Very low in calories, carbs, and fats. High in fiber and protein. 

No comments:

Post a Comment