Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Loving this "Mommy" Thing

Lately, it seems like everyone has been asking how I am doing or how I like being a mommy.
I am so thankful for having so many loving people surrounding me who care enough to check on me. The truth is, becoming a mom was the most wonderful yet the most difficult experience of my life. Anyone who knows me, knows I am selfish by nature so being 100% responsible for another human beings' happiness was quite an adjustment for me. Mentally I really struggled all throughout my pregnancy with the way my body was changing and once Riley was here I experienced alot of resentment early on towards my husband for still getting to look freakishly hot and workout all of the time and for not having to be glued to a baby 24/7. I know most of you reading this are probably like "whoaaaa she just said that" but I am not ashamed of how I felt because tons of new moms struggle with those things; they just wont admit it. I don't think my difficulty adjusting to motherhood is anything to be ashamed of. It was a struggle I overcame so I am proud of it.
I started back at work 3 weeks after having Riley; I am just not cut out for the stay at home mom thing. Fortunately, I am able to bring Riley to work with me every day so before anyone goes postal on me for going back to work so soon..its not like I missed out on any time with her. Working full time with a newborn was kind of tough especially since I was exclusively pumping breast milk due to Rileys inability to latch. It sounded like and ice cream machine was running in my office at all times haha.
Getting back in the routine of working out was tough. With a little girl who refused to sleep, a husband training for a fitness competition, a house that needed cleaning and working all day finding time to workout was difficult but at 4 weeks post partum I started walking on the treadmill for 30min-1hr every day and slowly added more weekly.
As many of you know, I am SUPER high maintenance so not having the energy or the drive to get fixed up every day was so hard for me. Between my crazy hair, red face, the newly developed bags under my eyes and my post baby body I felt terrible about myself.
It has been 3 months since I became a mom & I am proud to say I have finally gotten the hang of the daily routine. Riley is still not sleeping much so getting out of bed at 4:30am to go to the gym is difficult but I know it will pay off in the end. I am still in the process of getting my body back but getting an hour to myself at the gym to work on myself ha honestly been the best thing for me mentally. My confidence is back and it is nice to have an hour that is just dedicated to me and not to doing things for others. You can follow my fitness journey on this blog as well.
Working full time is not getting any easier. As Riley gets older, she is awake more often and demands way more attention. I am so blessed to be surrounded by family and friends at work who spoil her just as much as I do and are happy to hold her and pay her the attention she needs when I need to finish up with a task.
Getting ready every day is so much easier now that Riley has discovered Sponge Bob haha. I prop her up in the morning when her daddy leaves for work and she watches it while I shower and do my hair/makeup. If she has a morning where she is a little more needy I try and come into work earlier and finish getting ready in my office.
All in all I would say that I am absolutely loving this motherhood thing and again, I am so thankful for all those of you who have been checking up on me.

xoxo

3 comments:

  1. Reagan, I have to admit, when I read most of your posts about being concerned about how much weight you would gain while being pregnant, I was like, "Seriously... Enjoy it while you can..." But then after reading this blog, I have great respect for what you've done and what you continue to do. I felt like I had to spend every waking minute focused on Avery... Still do. I get so depressed looking at this "mummy tummy", jiggly thighs, back fat, etc... You're making me want to make a change. Thank you for making this blog. Your baby is just as beautiful as you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren, thank you so much. It means a lot to me. I hope you enjoy reading and if you ever have any questions or any topic you want me to blog about please let me know!

      Delete
  2. Just got my check for $500.

    Sometimes people don't believe me when I tell them about how much you can earn by taking paid surveys online...

    So I show them a video of myself actually getting paid over $500 for participating in paid surveys to set the record straight.

    ReplyDelete